Seminar ‘Recognizing and preventing fraud in international trade’
Wednesday 13 October 2021, 9.00-17.00 hrs., The Hague.
Expanding global markets, especially in emerging countries, offer business opportunities for all, including fraudsters and members of organized crime. Fraud in international trade is a risk with costly consequences for all parties involved. Money laundering, the use of containers to commit fraud as well as piracy and hijacking are all part of elaborate fraud schemes. Fraud affects traders, shippers, logistic companies, insurers, banks and all other parties involved in international trade, transport and banking transactions. It is of vital importance to identify misuse and fraud before it happens, before documents are submitted or payments are made.
This full day seminar covers in detail the different manifestations of fraud in international trade. The experts will clarify how to recognize red flags and criminal behaviour in advance in order to avoid losses. In doing so, they are going to address the risks for all parties involved and explain how to minimize those risks. How can duped businesses and private parties recover their assets and what can businesses do to trace fraudsters? These and more questions will be answered during this full day seminar.
• Gain insight in a variety of fraud issues illustrated by real life examples of fraud in international trade through case studies;
• Benefit from the analysis of case studies on documentary credit and international trade finance frauds;
• Learn how to take preventive measures against different kinds of fraud;
• Know how to act when fraud is suspected;
• Find out about international asset recovery.
• Michael Howlett, Director, ICC Commercial Crime Services, London
• Hugo Verschoren, Trade finance specialist, owner of goVer Trade Technologies, Antwerp
• Kees van de Meent, Lawyer/ Partner Florent, Dutch member of ICC Fraudnet, Amsterdam
|Welcome and introduction
By Marijke Wolfs, Secretary General, ICC Netherlands
Trade finance frauds & risks for buyers and sellers
Trade finance frauds & risks for banks
Cargo, insurance fraud & piracy
Recovery of losses
Prevention, remedial measures and Q&A
Trade finance managers, export and import managers, shipping and logistics managers, in-house counsel, and lawyers engaged in trade finance and commercial law, insurance companies and banks.
Registration for this full day seminar, including lunch, is mandatory. Please note that the number of seats is limited and registration will take place on a FCFS basis. Registration will close on Thursday 7 October 2021, end of day. Cancellation must be in writing and is possible free of charge up to 7 October 2021. In case of a no-show or cancellation on or after Thursday 7 October 2021 the full seminar price, incl. VAT/BTW, will be charged. For questions please contact the ICC Netherlands office, Mrs. Pip N. Smits, email@example.com.
For ICC members: EUR 475,- (excluding VAT/BTW, including lunch)
For non-ICC members: EUR 595,- (excluding VAT/BTW, including lunch)